Thursday, June 15, 2006

Materialism Gone Mad

This poem was inspire by no experience of mine, but due to the media coverage of the problem and due to my days volunteering at the CAB.
The CAB is a free indipendant advisory service which can help you not get into poor credit agreements and help you to manage debt. They also provide information and advice about a wide range of issues including family matters, housing, neighbours, social security and benefits ammongst other things. You can find them at http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/winnn6/cabdir.ihtml or in your local high street.

Invitations come through the door,
Falling on my mat once more,
Suggesting that I borrow lots
To buy all I want, including pots.
Phone this number for instant credit.
Rates so high, tiny type, they hid it.
All I can think of is items desired,
Shopping daily makes me feel wired.
Wants mutate into incessant needs,
Addiction, on these offers it feeds.

Credit card companies unscrupulous offers.
Promissing to swell my coffers.
The money - it's obvious, it must be mine,
I never can think of late payment fine.
Catalogues and shopping channel
Invite my spending with excessive flannel,
Showing me how to desire their things,
Materialism, in me takes wings.
Dresses, gadgets and fashion, its hot.
Looking now I want the lot.

Reminders are sent, on my mat they fall,
Cresitors debts they now recall.
Stress, it builds as I can't repay.
'Pay me now!' the bankers say.
My income, no longer is enough,
Court admin order - its very tough.
Perhaps its better to go bankrupt
Oh! How these lenders are corrupt.
I suppose I could considor mediocracy -
Not spending so much, but this is democracy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home